Donald Trump, the real estate mogul who has filed for bankruptcy four times, announced today that he will seek the Republican nomination for president. Rather than document the many reasons why Trump is completely unfit for public office, here are a selection of quotes from Trump's hour-long announcement speech today.
- We don’t have victories anymore. We used to have victories, but we don’t have them. When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let’s say, China in a trade deal? They kill us. I beat China all the time. All the time.
- When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.
- And our real unemployment is anywhere from 18 to 20 percent. Don’t believe the 5.6. Don’t believe it. That’s right. A lot of people up there can’t get jobs. They can’t get jobs, because there are no jobs, because China has our jobs and Mexico has our jobs. They all have jobs. But the real number, the real number is anywhere from 18 to 19 and maybe even 21 percent, and nobody talks about it, because it’s a statistic that’s full of nonsense.
- Our enemies are getting stronger and stronger by the way, and we as a country are getting weaker. Even our nuclear arsenal doesn’t work.
- I have so many Web sites, I have them all over the place. I hire people, they do a Web site. It costs me $3.
- I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created. I tell you that.
- Now (China is) going militarily. They’re building a military island in the middle of the South China sea. A military island. Now, our country could never do that because we’d have to get environmental clearance, and the environmentalist wouldn’t let our country — we would never build in an ocean.
- I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists. I’m not using donors. I don’t care. I’m really rich.
- I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall.
- Nobody would be tougher on ISIS than Donald Trump. Nobody.
- I will find — within our military, I will find the General Patton or I will find General MacArthur, I will find the right guy. I will find the guy that’s going to take that military and make it really work.
To recap: Donald Trump will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created; nobody would be tougher on ISIS than Donald Trump; Donald Trump will find our General Patton or General MacArthur; Donald Trump will build a great, great wall that Mexico will pay for; and Donald Trump is really rich.
We echo the Democratic National Committee in saying that we look forward to Donald Trump bringing his ideas to the Republican presidential primary.