“Tonight, President Obama showed that he stands with the Jewish community on a wide range of issues from keeping America safe and fighting for economic justice to protecting a woman’s right to choose and supporting legislation like the DREAM Act,” said David Harris, President and CEO of NJDC. “Once again, Governor Mitt Romney demonstrated in tonight’s debate that his views are completely out of step with the values of Jewish voters. In so many cases, the right-wing policies of the Romney/Ryan ticket are exactly the opposite of the views of a vast majority of Jewish voters.”
Examples of how Governor Mitt Romney’s values are out of step with the Jewish community:
* Governor Romney has tried time and time again to mischaracterize President Obama’s relationship with Israel, ignoring that the relationship between these two countries is stronger than ever.
* Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak shares this belief, stating: “The unshakable bonds between Israel and America and their respective defense establishments under the guiding hand of President Barack Obama are stronger and deeper than ever and we are very thankful and appreciative of that.” To learn more about Obama’s record on Israel, click here.
Romney’s attacks that President Obama has failed to be tough on Iran is completely unfounded.
* President Obama has made stopping Iran’s nuclear ambitions a crucial part of his foreign policy plan, putting in place the most stringent Iran sanctions ever
* This past month Iran’s currency dropped in value by 40% proving that the sanctions are in fact working
* As of October 1, the rial was valued at 35,000 rials to one dollar
* President Obama stood in front of the U.N. and stated that a nuclear Iran was unacceptable, doubling down on his promise that all options are on the table
The Buffett Rule
* The 2012 Jewish Values Survey showed that 81% of Jews favor increasing the tax rate on Americans earning more than $1 million a year
* According to the same survey, 88% of Jewish voters believe that abortion should be legal in all or most cases
* Romney, on the other hand, wants to defund Planned Parenthood and promises to be a “pro-life president.”
Lilly Ledbetter Act
*While gender equality has long been an important concept in the Jewish community, Governor Romney failed to take a stance on how he would vote on fair pay legislation.
Immigration and the DREAM Act
*Governor Romney has promised to veto the DREAM Act, encouraging a policy of “self deportation.”
There are no comments for this entry